Author Topic: Hey everybody!  (Read 2005 times)

Offline radioboyalan

• Big D Country - Tallahassee's hometown station
Hey everybody!
« on: April 25, 2013, 06:11:23 PM »
  • Publish
  • I'm Alan, also known as "radioboy" to lots of folks. I got that nickname when I announced to my family at age 12 that "I want to be a deejay." And became one in 1979. The bug bit hard and appears to be terminal.

I built a carrier current station..before the term "neutral injection" was known in my neck of the woods. The signal got stopped right in my back yard by a transformer. I think I 'm the only one that ever heard it. That was back in 1990. I gave up after a few years and gave the LPB transmitter away to a campground operator.

Since 2003 I have operated a combination Internet and Part 15 AM station, now known as Big D Country. I 'm
    one of the few Part 15ers to specialize in country as a primary format. During the Florida hurricanes of 2004 and 2005 the Part 15 ended up being the only AM on the air a couple of times. So I went live with shelter and flood information, safety, traffic, and weather info. With all the water, my system got out a couple of miles. I
    used a Rangemaster for several years but, being legally blind, tuning it from a ladder was tricky. My wife asked me to consider a transmitter system where I couldn't be climbing, so I swapped with a fellow member here.

Now I have a Talking House with a wire antenna that has the wire mostly outdoors at about 9 feet. It about covers the family 17 acre farm.

Since I have been out of work for a while, I am working on an LPFM since my stations are more than just a hobby, but not quite a business.

Glad to see your forum, RFB. Thanks for letting me in.

Offline RFBurns

• Administrator
    Re: Hey everybody!
    « Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 04:54:48 PM »
  • Publish
  • Welcome aboard Alan! Glad to see you here! :)